Submission to acceptance process
Submission and peer-review
To submit an article:
- Please ensure that you have prepared your manuscript in line with the SHS requirements.
- All submissions should be submitted via the editorial system
- The followingare required for your submission to be complete:
- Anonymous manuscript (unless otherwise stated)
- Author Agreement form [forthcoming]
- Any supplementary files: figures, datasets, patient consent form, permissions for published images, etc.
- Once the submission has been successfully processed on Editorial Manager, it will undergo a technical check by the Editorial Office before it will be assigned to an editor who will handle the review process. If the author guidelines have not been appropriately followed, the manuscript may be sent back to the author for correcting.
- An accepted manuscript is passed to a Managing Editor to assign to a copyeditor (CE).
- The CE copyedits in Word, working on house style, format, spelling/grammar/punctuation, sense and consistency, and preparation for typesetting.
- If the CE has an author queries, he/she will contact the corresponding author and send them the copyedited Word doc, asking them to solve the queries by means of track changes or comment boxes.
- The authors are typically asked to respond within 1-3 days. Any comments/changes must be clearly indicated e.g. by means of track changes. Do not work in the original manuscript - work in the copyedited file sent to you and make your changes clear.
- The CE will finalise the article and then it will be typeset.
- Once typeset, the CE will send a PDF of the file to the authors to complete their final check, while simultaneously sending to the 2nd-eye proofreader.
- The authors are typically asked to complete their final check and sign-off within 1-2 days. No major additional changes can be accommodated at this point.
- The CE implements the authors’ and proofreader’s mark-ups, finalises the file, and prepares it for the upcoming issue.